Music. It’s a way of life for me, and a gift I’ll never take for granted. It has always been there for me, and always will. Music is my church. And I attend every day. It defines the moments of my time here on earth. In some magnificent way, I win the lottery every day when I wake up in Cleveland – the heart of rock ‘n roll.
And that’s where this blog begins. It begins with me receiving an evite to the soft opening of Cleveland’s newest waterfront venue: The Music Box Supper Club. It begins with me feeling like Charlie Bucket. It begins with my golden ticket traveling through cyberspace to find me.
As I walked into the downstairs Supper Club, I let the romance and glamour of decades past envelop me. I found myself nostalgic for an era I didn’t live through. How did they do that? No doubt I was in my happy place.
And guess what? My happy place has one of the best Happy Hours in town. From 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. their libation offerings include a nice selection of beers, house wines, and hand-crafted cocktails. Think Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. And Rumrunners. As for their garnishes, “I judge a place by the size of their olives,” proclaimed a friend in between sips of her dirty martini. “These olives are huge!”
We ordered an array of small plates to share, and I’m honestly hard-pressed to pick a favorite. Each is a perfect happy hour nosh and there’s plenty to share with a few friends:
- Truffle Parmesan Belgium Fries
- White Cheddar Mac & Cheese with apple-smoked bacon and crispy onions
- Caramelized onion, fig and gorgonzola flatbread (cut on the diagonal into four pieces)
We didn’t stop there.
- Caprese salad – sliced heirloom tomatoes decorated with feta cubes, olive oil, fresh basil and eight-year-old Balsamic. (A little light on the Balsamic, but bursting with flavor nonetheless)
Nope. Still didn’t stop.
- Local Apple Bread Pudding- Brown sugar bourbon butter sauce. We were celebrating a birthday, so those calories don’t count. Or so I’ve been told. And now you’ve read it on the Internet so it MUST be true. <wink>
Cleveland, do make plans to check Music Box Supper Club out soon. It’s truly one of the most unique social dining experiences you’ll find in the city. It’s a gem of a place where the service, ambiance and food are in perfect three-part harmony. As for the music – I’ll let the concert schedule do the talking: Music Box Concert Schedule.
So, there you have it. The beginning of my blog. Admittedly, I have some tidying up to do, so we’ll consider this my soft launch. Until next time, be kind to yourself. And each other.
Note: All opinions expressed here are my own. I have not received any compensation for writing this post.